Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] OSS plugin not there, ALSA confused

Hi Kilian,

Kilian Krause wrote:
I know what I'm doing. That doesn't mean I want to spend hours trying to figure out a problem unrelated to the changes I'm doing in GM. Besides, I figured Damien might want to know about the ALSA problem.

btw. there's a learning curve ;)

Well quite, but what's a mailing list for if it's not to share one another's experience and make the learning curve less steep for the rest of us? Responding to a question by "if you're a normal user, stick to the mainstream packages and go post on the regular list, otherwise take the day off and strace the code by yourself" isn't my idea of mutual help.

if it takes that long, you should give
yourself some time to learn to find sources more quickly.. *g*
usually it's "what doesn't show up within the first 10-15min you won't
find until 2-3h" once you're experienced with gdb and strace (and
reading logs of course).. And 10-15min is somewhat the effort you are
willing to "invest" into enhancing OpenSource when installing CVS
packages. I guess that's not too much for free software, is it?

That's not the issue : everybody wants to give time to many projects, but at some point there has to be some prioritization. I'm involved in many other free software projects, mine or others, and I must say I don't necessarily have the time or desire to go deeper into Gnomemeeting. In fact, messing with Gnomemeeting ranks quite low on my list of things to do, not because the project isn't nice, but because I just have other things to do, and my main areas of interest are elsewhere.

So yes, I'm willing to give GM two or three hours to contribute a small code snippet that I find helpful to me, but I'm not really willing to do much more than this. In particular, I'm not willing to trace libpt to find out by myself that Julien has disabled loadable plugins to get better traces. I might have done if I had a stronger interest in the project's development, but I don't. If you suggest I learn all there is to know about this very fine project just to contribute a 100 line patch, then I most certainly won't.

Thanks for your report still. Let's hope we can try to "fix" this issue
soon, even though it doesn't apply to $MANY users..

The issue is fixed for me now, since I've been told where to look. Indeed, I'm sure there aren't many people who have the same problem :-)

But back on topic. If I may make a suggestion : it would be nice to be able to get the -dev versions of the libpt-*-1.6.3 and openh323-1.13.2 packages (.deb or .rpm) from the "download" link at www.gnomemeeting.org. I looked on the site and didn't find them, nor did I find them through google.