Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] About Skype...

Robert Vojta wrote:
V St 07. 07. 2004 v 18:31 +0200 píše Damien Sandras:

Yes if people have ideas from Skype to implement into GM, then I'm all
ears. However, we have opposite directions, and I really see Skype as a
toy.

  Yes, me too, but look at the number - how many users are using this
"toy"? I think that Skype will be something like ICQ in a few months,
better years. It's just what users wants - easy to install, easy to use,
work pretty well between two machines inside NAT'ed networks.

  Next feature is ability to call PSTN/GSM network. It's done, under
Windows only, it's called SkypeOut. Latest feature is ability to call
Skype "phone" from PSTN/GSM network.

Yes but there is one big problem with Skype it is not compatible with anyting else, a total lockin system that is what Skype is right now.

Actually, people who tell the audio quality is better than with GM (just
like the Skype FAQ advertises : superior audio quality) are wrong. Skype
is using iLBC, just like GnomeMeeting, but with the whole bandwidth
dedicated to audio.

  I didn't know that Skype is using iLBC. Hmm, I'll look at it more
deeply some night. I will try to compare quality of calls between GM &
Skype and I'll use my wife as a barometer - this is the best way :-)

The only real advantage is transparent NAT support, we have several
alternatives in GM CVS :

- transparent NAT support if one of the endpoints is not-NATted or NAT-
aware
- NAT-awareness through STUN support
- NAT-awareness through IP Translation

but no transparent NAT support. Craig, Robert and me have been
discussing an idea to achieve this, I think Craig will work on it.

  I have to read about this in archives, because I'm busy and I'm not
able to follow all mailing list :(