Re: Having external control panels in System settings

On 01/31/2012 04:54 PM, Calum Benson wrote:
On 24 Jan 2012, at 14:20, Alberto Ruiz wrote:

There are APIs to do this in Mac OS X, and I've never seen more than one or
two extra items installed in a ac OS X host (mostly growl, the notification
thingie)
I currently have 13 :)

Cheeri,
Calum.

Well pardon me but I guess you should get rid of some of your crap . The next step is to whitelist the apps you can run on the OS , so it doesn't hurt the design ... Really no offence but it sounds like you have too much stuff on your computer .

Let me rephrase the problem - we want to be able to customize the system (the system , not just GNOME , because mr Nosera was wrong when he said that GNOME will become a whole system - GNOME stands on the shoulders of GNU/Linux ) , but have it look neat and unified . Here's the 3 options :

>like gnome 2 - have an open CC , app launcher - it's too messy

>like ... now - have a closed CC - I DO NOT have the needed system settings in it , and that's the reality of it , I don't care how happy you are with the design - it is just not effective

>an API to integrate - compromise solution - every system that uses GNOME has it's components that need to be integrated , so just give them that ability . It's not tossing of an icon in the CC , it can be done elegantly , and many people will be happy to work with you towards such a solution .

The GNOME project is an open project ,and it should be developed as one . I'll make a wild guess that a good portion of the developers have come here from other projects using GNOME and will go to other projects , so this is not a closed community and it would be for the best to make GNOME more compatible and friendly instead of confining it .

And a last thing , to the opposition of those ideas (and it's an advise in general) - please don't skip arguments when replying , it's a discussion , not a shouting fest. If I write something rational and you overlook it , it's pointless to even have a conversation .

That written ,I went and read a few of the older messages - well Alberto Ruiz said it all right . The point is that if there is willingness to work towards an API for an elegant implementation of external settings many of us will be happy to make it happen .

Regards,
Petko