Re: Having external control panels in System settings

On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 23:21 +0200, Petko wrote:
> On 01/20/2012 02:23 PM, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > if you want something in the control center, just propose it on this
> > list, so if it makes sense, it will be added. but we want to avoid
> > every single app/service to add stuff to the control center, as this
> > was one of the biggest problems in GNOME 2.x, where we ended up with
> > 3/4 entries for keyboard-related stuff, app-specific configuration,
> > etc. So, what do you want to add to the control center that is missing?
> Well , I still think the problem is in the principle , but to answer
> your question - the thing that took my attention (in G-C-C) when I
> installed Natty was that Nvidia control panel ,

The NVidia control panel is proprietary software, so you couldn't even
have it running inside the control-center, which is under the GNU GPL.

> and CCSM didn't appear
> automatically .

We would never want that in GNOME. Compiz isn't part of GNOME, and the
UI doesn't match our design principles (eg. we think there shouldn't be
a configuration panel for the window frames).

>  And I still believe that it's hardly possible to
> integrate every configuration panel into G-C-C and there should be some
> section that those could live in . And yes one can configure stuff
> through the apps themselfs or to start the control panels through
> terminal or whatever , but it's by far more civilized to have them in
> System settings .

That's the point. We don't want to integrate everything into the system
settings. We want to include the things that make sense, and to be able
to say what makes sense, we need to act as gatekeepers.

In any case, we won't be adding support for external system settings.
Case closed.