Re: Initial Thoughts

On 11/05/2010 11:35 AM, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
Bastien Nocera wrote on 04/11/10 19:32:
On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 15:05 +0000, Calum K Pringle wrote:
*   Another thought I would like to raise is that of application
     specific settings; for example Empathy has instant messaging
     accounts that are used mainly in Empathy but could be used in
     other applications as well, so should the setting exist inside
     empathy or separate like “Messaging and Voip Accounts”. Should
     these be retitled to settings for those applications only, and
     then live inside an “Internet” heading of preferences? This
     then acknowledges the rapidly changing use of social network
     applications, and when people download applications, there is
     opportunity for developers to have a separate preference
     option?
This should all be integrated into "Web Accounts". Did you look at the
mockups available at:
http://gitorious.org/gnome-design/gnome-design ?

There's already a mockup for the web accounts stuff, just need a person
to work on it.
For example, if you were using an OS with a version of Gnome released
only three years ago, and the "Web Accounts" panel had existed in Gnome
back then, possibly it would know about Facebook, but it wouldn't know
about Twitter. Meanwhile, the version of Gwibber you installed on that
OS would have its own interface for setting up both, regardless of what
Gnome did.
Sorry for coming back to this only much later. In this case, both Gwibber and GNOME, and indeed Ubuntu are all on a six month release schedule. So not so sure about that specific example (but I shouldn't get caught up in examples, sure :) ) I can see the risk of this panel becoming outdated, but at the same time, it would be really cool if both my chat app, photo app and microblog app would all pick my Facebook settings (ie. have my system become facebook-ready right away, instead of setting the same thing up 3 times), and there was one place to turn that off the day you become dissatisfied with Facebook's new privacy policy. There is a general trend for services to provide several services with the same account, and it would be neat if we could take advantage of that. At the same time, there is the question if we should really push people towards one specific silo of their choice with our interfaces, but with the checkboxes in Allans latest mockup (all turned on or off by default?) would provide what part of the services one would specifically be interested in making use of.
- Andreas