Re: Initial Thoughts

On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 12:56 +0000, Allan Day wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 10:35 +0000, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> > Bastien Nocera wrote on 04/11/10 19:32:

> > > This should all be integrated into "Web Accounts". Did you look at the
> > > mockups available at:
> > > http://gitorious.org/gnome-design/gnome-design ?
> > >
> > > There's already a mockup for the web accounts stuff, just need a person
> > > to work on it.
> >
> > Calum's point is that Gnome is used in operating systems that can
> > continue to be used three, seven, even ten years after they're released.
> > But the sort of Web services that would be covered by a "Web Accounts"
> > panel change much more rapidly, so those settings might make more sense
> > in more-updateable applications rather than in global settings.
> >
> > For example, if you were using an OS with a version of Gnome released
> > only three years ago, and the "Web Accounts" panel had existed in Gnome
> > back then, possibly it would know about Facebook, but it wouldn't know
> > about Twitter. Meanwhile, the version of Gwibber you installed on that
> > OS would have its own interface for setting up both, regardless of what
> > Gnome did.
>
> Could applications not push account details to the service? Or is that
> pure fairy tale? Either way, we need to be considering this panel in a
> more holistic fashion. It will be one front end to a service that will
> be interacted with in a number of ways, after all.
>
> Wouldn't it be preferable to have our accounts service facilitate
> 'natural' user behaviour, rather than requiring some kind of set up
> phase? I'll paint a picture. Tell me where I've got it wrong. :)
>
> Jane buys a new laptop preinstalled with her favourite GNOMEy distro.
> First thing she does is start the chat program and inputs her Google
> account details. Then she starts the email program. "Do you want to use
> the Google account with the username 'jane gmail com?'", it asks. "Yes
> please!", Jane replies. Later, she starts her browser and navigates to
> Google Reader. She is presented with something like this:
>
> +----------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Login using username jane gmail com?   [Always] [Once] [Never] |
> +----------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> Jane gets a sense that this distro is really helpful. It's taking care
> of things for her. She likes it. Two weeks later, she changes her Google
> password via a web-page. Her chat, email and  browser settings are
> automatically updated, just like magic.
>
> Sounds like a desirable scenario! What, we need to ask, is the need for
> a Web Accounts panel (or the equivalent) in this context, though? Is it
> that a user might want to delete an account from the system? That they
> might need to stop using that account for a particular service? (But
> then, aren't applications a better place to do this?) Or that they might
> want to use it to change their password? (Why not do this over the web?)
>
> Let's work towards specifying:
> [...]
I agree completely with you. I think what we want is a central storage
for accounts, so that all applications can use it, as you point out.

We already have that storage, which is the keyring, so maybe we should
just define how they are stored, and make apps use that instead of their
own settings.

Then, maybe we could add a generic Web Accounts, which lists the
services the user has configured in the keyring, and maybe allow to
change password, add new services, etc. Although not sure that would be
really useful.