Re: Initial Thoughts

On 5 Nov 2010, at 18:50, Andreas Nilsson wrote:

>>> Woo! Breaking the thread, but that's because I subscribed after MPT had posted this.
> It was mentioned on IRC yesterday that Printing settings is something that could be improved a lot (setting up network printer, eeek) and that currently don't have any designs done for it. If you want to do some designs for that, it would be great!
> http://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings/Printers

There may or may not be anything of interest here, but a couple of years back we designed a new printer detection and setup subsystem for Solaris, including a GUI.  We never quite fully implemented it, so in the end it never handled CUPS, for example, but the intention was always that the GUI could accommodate multiple backends.

<http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+presto/GUI>

Cheeri,
Calum.

--
CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Oracle Corporation Ireland Ltd.
mailto:calum benson oracle com         Solaris Desktop Team

Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those of Oracle Corp.