Re: system wide settings

Apologies for the sparse email... I should have been more specific.
These items are on the system settings wiki page [1] as well as the
meeting page [2]. They are expressed as 'to do' items.

> > I'd also like to know what the plan is for:
> >
> >  * Help
>
> The plan is to make it unnecessary.

I think I understand the aspiration there, though it seems like a big
(and potentially controversial) change. Something on the wiki about the
move could be helpful.

> >  * Authentication
>
> What in particular?  Do you mean authorization to make changes?

>From the wiki: 'need a common UI for escalating privileges if needed'.
The user accounts design [3] includes the somewhat familiar 'unlock'
button in the bottom-left corner. Is this something that is planned for
other panels? I was wondering whether something akin to window modal
dialogues might be advantageous.

> >  * Message display
>
> Again I think that is way too broad to be meaningful.  Messages about what?

The wiki states 'how should warning, error and information messages be
displayed?' We probably don't want to address all of these. One thing
that I have run into a few times is how to present 'undo', however. I
can imagine this being useful after removing a user or a printer, for
example. Perhaps there are other concrete examples where a systems
settings pattern might be useful?

I'm happy to update the wiki page wrt these issues.

Best,

Allan

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Design/SystemSettings/
[2] http://live.gnome.org/ControlCenter/GNOME3Meeting1