system wide settings

Hi

While packaging the new g-c-c for Ubuntu, I came across a couple of
patches
(http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/gnome-control-center/ubuntugtk3/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/50_ubuntu_systemwide_prefs.patch and http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/gnome-control-center/ubuntugtk3/annotate/head%3A/debian/patches/51_ubuntu_system_keyboard.patch ), and, as I was going to rebase them, I wonder if there's any plan for system-wide applying of settings from cc-panels.

I guess other distributions do something similar for other panels, so,
what do Fedora, openSuSE, etc do? Should we provide a generic framework
for allowing distros to add this functionality easily instead of having
to patch the code?

Just from a quick brainstorm, I was thinking about providing an
extension point and, if available, show a button 'Apply system-wide' and
call a function on the plugin to do the stuff? Or a binary in a specific
directory?

Would this be helpful for other distros?