Re: Control Center 3.0

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 12:05 +0000, Sergey Udaltsov wrote:

> > * a single window approach (no separate capplet windows)
> Heh, I see you want to reinvent MacOS CC, don't you ?;)

Well, I think there are certain improvements that we could make if we
were doing that ;-)

> > * a common way to change 'system' properties (i.e. a way to become
> root
> > when needed)
> How do you plan to do it so that it would work in all distros???

I don't know, what solutions do we have? This is mainly to set things
like 'default background' I guess.

> > * scalability with third party 'capplets'
> This one IMHO would be more realistic than supporting system editing
> inside main gnome tree. Once we make capplets easy to create and
> integrate (and, if we manage that, even plug extra functions to
> existing capplets) - we could leave the rest to distromakers.

It is true that the 'system settings' has been the area distro makers
have traditionally used to differentiate themselves. I'm all for
allowing this to continue and building a frame work that makes it easier
for distros to integrate 'system settings' into the control center
shell.

Regards,

Thomas