Re: Control Center 3.0

On Fri, 2009-11-20 at 12:52 +0000, Thomas Wood wrote:
> > > * a common way to change 'system' properties (i.e. a way to become
> > root
> > > when needed)
> > How do you plan to do it so that it would work in all distros???
>
> I don't know, what solutions do we have? This is mainly to set things
> like 'default background' I guess.

Today we do this in Fedora through a GConf patch (I think the GConf bit
is upstream already) - it looks like this

 http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/gconf-polkit-default-background.png
 (note: the latest polkit version has features to make the auth dialog text
  look nicer - e.g. display "Authentication is required to change the
  background for all users" - we're just not using it yet)

and was written by Matthias Clasen (patch is sitting in bugzilla
somewhere - IIRC someone didn't like it).

Anyway, I think GSettings/DConf will have native polkit support for
things like this. I've added Ryan Lortie to the Cc to ask for this.

Thanks,
David