Re: Dropping the "Interface" tab from appearance capplet

On 28 Jul 2009, at 18:59, Matthias Clasen wrote:

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Calum Benson<Calum Benson sun com> wrote:

While we are looking at toolbars in applications, it would also be
nice to make sure that most of them have  a separate preference for
the toolbar style (defaulting to the system-wide setting), since
changing this setting is really mostly a question of familiarity with
the app, which means that the global setting doesn't really help much.
IIRC, the HIG recommends that too.

It does indeed, although I'd be the first to admit that the current recommendation is perhaps a little clunky, which probably explains why only a couple of apps ever implemented it.

It's one of those things that developers really shouldn't have to worry about at all -- if you create a toolbar in your app, you ought to get the toolbar-controlling menu items for free. But don't ask me how :)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            OpenSolaris Desktop Team