Re: Dropping the "Interface" tab from appearance capplet

On 28 Jul 2009, at 16:40, Thomas Wood wrote:

Hi,

It has been suggested that we remove the interface tab from the
Appearance capplet. This is for a number of reasons:

1) The tab mostly exposes bad design decisions

2) The tab page is fairly sparse and only contains three preferences

Bummer, we were going to use the Appearance tab as a handy place to add a new feature to the next release of OpenSolaris, but hey-ho :)

A quick survey in the office seems to suggest the "text beside icons" is
the most popular choice for default.

I'm also a fan of text-beside-icons, but would just say that when we made it the default in OpenSolaris 2008.11, we received several complaints about apps that didn't implement it properly-- i.e. didn't set the is-important property for any toolbar buttons at all. In many cases, no tooltips were provided either, so there was literally no way to get a description of a toolbar button other than by switching to a different toolbar mode. Consequently, we reverted to text-below-icons for our 2009.06 release. (And we should probably have filed more upstream bugs at the time -- my bad.)

To that end, I also suggested a GNOME Goal to ensure all apps worked well with text-beside-icons mode, but since it's still languishing on the Proposals page, I presume it hasn't happened as yet. And it wouldn't necessarily help us with the many non-core GNOME apps that we all like to use.

It would probably also greatly help developers if you could set tooltips and the is-important property for each button in Glade's toolbar editor, which you couldn't the last time I looked-- but that was in v3.4.5, and things may have moved on a bit since then...

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            OpenSolaris Desktop Team