Re: RandR branches

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 17:26 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:

[tray icon to do rotation of monitors]
> Why is that needed? Don't most tablets have buttons to activate the
> rotation change, which we could hook up the same way we handle the
> switch screen button on most other systems.
>
> I don't think there's any need for a tray applet unless the device
> doesn't have one of those buttons, or a sensor to handle rotation
> automatically.

The plan *is* to support the tablet's physical "rotate" button if one
exists.  I don't know if all tablets have such a button (or even, how do
we detect that?).

I do want the tray icon to *not* appear if the plugged monitors don't
support rotation.  This is not implemented yet.

> > - Pressing Fn-F7 gets caught in the plugin for g-s-d, but currently
> > doesn't do anything; I have a plan for this.
>
> What's your plan? :)

X drivers suck and so far almost none of them send hotplug
notifications.  So, my idea of the user's workflow is this:

- Plug a projector or a monitor to the laptop.

- Nothing happens (i.e. no hotplug event is possible)

- User says, "oh, I guess I must press this Fn-F7 thing"

- We catch the key.  The code probes the monitors.  It sees that the
state changed from the state it knew about.  Then it can ask the user
what to do (clone?  make the display bigger?  etc.)

- Alternatively, hitting the key could just run
gnome-display-properties.

  Federico