Re: gnome-control-center 2.22 proposals

On 06.10.2007 16:23, Denis Washington wrote:

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 16:08 +0200, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> On 06.10.2007 13:01, Denis Washington wrote:
> > Maybe we should go with Calum's idea of merging mouse+keyboard to
> > "Keyboard and Mouse" and add further capplets for other types of devices
> > if needed.
>
> I understood Calum wanted to keep keyboard and mouse separate, and
> that makes quite a lot of sense to me. If you look at keyboard and
> keyboard a11y alone, there are more than enough options in there for
> one capplet.
>
> Merging mouse and keyboard would result in a mega-capplet (touchpad's
> going to go there as well), and that would probably be worse than just
> having two capplet entries in the menu.

I agree that input devices other than keyboards and mouses (and maybe
touchpads) certainly need separate capplets. If you like to keep layout
settings in the keyboard capplet and also move shortcuts there, having
a separate keyboard capplet also makes sense. However, I think having
the keyboard layout together with language+locale settings in an i18n
capplet, cross-referenced from a combined keyboard+mouse capplet
(essentially my mockup that started the discussion), would be nicer.

My main concern with that is that you left put a number of options
from the existing capplets (esp. the a11y one). If we came to the
conclusion that we don't need them anymore, that'd be fine, but I
seriously doubt that (e.g. "enable keyboard a11y" (bug 131339 [1]),
"slow keys", some of the options from mouse keys (though they do
look a little excessive atm)). Plus I find the a11y capplet to be
a bit cryptic, and we need better (longer) option descriptions in
a lot of cases. Your mockup already improves some of them, but I
think we'll need a bit more space still.

Jens