Re: gnome-control-center 2.22 proposals

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 16:08 +0200, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> On 06.10.2007 13:01, Denis Washington wrote:

> > > True. I get the impression that nobody really has a good idea of what
> > > a universal input devices capplet might look like, so maybe it would
> > > be best if we started by merging keyboard, keyboard a11y, and
> > > keybindings.
> >
> > I am still not comfortable with putting shortcuts into a keyboard
> > capplet. Just because the shortcuts happen to be made with a keyboard, I
> > would never or pretty late think of looking them up there.
>
> Why not? Where else would you look for them?

I would look for a shortcuts capplet. For me at least, settings for my
keyboard and shortcuts are two separate things; shorcuts don't feel like
something hardware-ish to me, that's why I wouldn't look it up in a
keyboard capplet which seems more hardware-related.

> > Maybe we should go with Calum's idea of merging mouse+keyboard to
> > "Keyboard and Mouse" and add further capplets for other types of devices
> > if needed.
>
> I understood Calum wanted to keep keyboard and mouse separate, and
> that makes quite a lot of sense to me. If you look at keyboard and
> keyboard a11y alone, there are more than enough options in there for
> one capplet.
>
> Merging mouse and keyboard would result in a mega-capplet (touchpad's
> going to go there as well), and that would probably be worse than just
> having two capplet entries in the menu.

I agree that input devices other than keyboards and mouses (and maybe touchpads) certainly need separate capplets. If you like to keep layout settings in the keyboard capplet and also move shortcuts there, having a separate keyboard capplet also makes sense. However, I think having the keyboard layout together with language+locale settings in an i18n capplet, cross-referenced from a combined keyboard+mouse capplet (essentially my mockup that started the discussion), would be nicer. Just my opinion.

Denis