Re: Mouse a11y tab

On Sat, 2007-11-17 at 22:47 +0100, Francesco Fumanti wrote:
> At 8:03 PM +0100 11/16/07, Denis Washington wrote:
> >  > At 6:45 PM +0100 11/10/07, Denis Washington wrote:
> >>  >We may also need expanders in the a11y tab of the mouse capplet I mocked
> >>  >up [1], as there are some mousetweaks options I haven't added there
> >>  >afaik, and the tab is already quite large now.
> >>  >
> >>  >What do you think?
> >>  >
> >  > >[1] http://ultimum-projekt.de/mockups/mouse.html
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have revised the mouse capplet mockup based on Francesco's comments.
> >Now the "enable a11y features" checkbox is gone and the mousetweaks
> >features missed in the last mockup were added. Check it out:
> >
> >http://ultimum-projekt.de/mockups/mouse.html
> >
> >I await your comments, Francesco. ;)
>
> First of all, thanks for making a new mockup. :-)
>
> You are asking for comments, so let me serve you. ;-)
>
> To go into the details:
>
> - 'Simulate Secondary Button': The title is not completely accurate,
> because it is only possible to do a secondary click; it is not
> possible for example to do a secondary button click&hold. What about
> 'Simulate Secondary Button Click' or 'Simulate Secondary Click'? [a]

"Simulate Secondary Click" is a good option as I also used the term
"Secondary Click" for the mouse gesture choosers.

> - 'Dwell Click': What about 'Click By Software' to avoid the term
> Dwell to make it also understandable to non-initiated persons?

My idea was to leave "Dwell Click" to have a short and easy to remember
term for users. Those who don't know what it is will quickly get to know
from the first checkbox, which I as a user would read out of curiosity
if I don't know the term.

> - 'Click automatically after stopping pointer movement': This is not
> accurate: in fact, in dwell click with mouse gestures, the click only
> happens if the user moves the pointer while the pointer is showing
> its 'trigger'-shape. Consequently, the click is not automatic in this
> mode. [b]

My thought was that even if the actual click might be performed with a
mouse gesture, the "trigger shape" state is still initiated by stopping
pointer movement, so in the end it is also an "automatic click after
stopping pointer movement".

> In fact, I prefer to distinguish the two dwell modes by the way the
> click is triggered (automatically by time vs by pointer movement),
> the choice of the click type coming only afterwards. I assume that a
> non-initiated user will first ask: "How do I click?" and only
> afterwards: "How can I select click type?" But I may also be wrong.

As I said, I see both as a type of automatic click after pointer
movement stops, so I actually also had this distinguation in mind. But
maybe the wording could be made a slight bit better.

> Gerds layout in revision 34 of mousetweaks uses the distinction of
> the trigger; it also resulted in a big layout, and I am not
> completely satisfied by it either.
> Currently at the bottom of the following page:
> http://live.gnome.org/Mousetweaks/Usability

I have seen that layout. What do you think the information text about
the panel applet comes from? ;)

> - 'Choose type of click beforehand': I have problems with this; but
> it may be because I am not used to the word 'beforehand'. Will a
> non-initiated user understand the relation to the automatic click?
> Anyway, as this string is related to the string with the word
> automatic, you will probably have to modify both.

IF using "automatic", I think it makes sense. See the above. ;)

> Please, do not get me wrong: Apart [a] and [b], most things that I
> mentioned in this email are only details and might be a matter of
> taste. Moreover, I think that it has a good general layout. I do not
> know whether the mouse gesture settings should be moved to an
> external window; this might probably also be a matter of taste.
>

> Finally, I am well aware that it is much easier to criticize than to
> produce the layouts; thus thanks again for the time you are putting
> into it.

No problem. Likewise a appreciate your detailed and well-foundated critics. :)

Cheers,
Denis