Re: Plans for 2.20

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 12:52 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 16:43 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > nm-applet doesn't know how to list the known networks, or remove some of
> > them. The proxy setup could also be per-network, or (and I'd like Calum
> > to explain to use the use-cases of proxies), be only enabled if a
> > certain network is used.
>
> Well, my particular use case is that I want no proxies set up when I'm
> surfing at home, whether I'm working wired or wirelessly.  If I want to
> connect to the office from home via VPN, though, I need proxies.

Great explanation. But I wouldn't want this in 2.20. Supporting the
proxies in this way means that you have to collect this profile
information from the system's network setup (that could be
NetworkManager, or that could be static files, and "profiles").

Unless we can tie in the system configuration (and availability of this
concept of locations or profiles), then the option shouldn't be
presented to the user (see how you mentioned the network setup alongside
the proxy setup)[1].

Is it ready in Solaris? It certainly isn't (in a sensible way) anywhere
in Linux.

[1]: Note that I'd want the infrastructure as much as you do, so that I
can tell Evo to only have my work e-mail enabled if the VPN is up in
NetworkManager.
--
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>