Re: Plans for 2.20

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 16:43 +0000, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> nm-applet doesn't know how to list the known networks, or remove some of
> them. The proxy setup could also be per-network, or (and I'd like Calum
> to explain to use the use-cases of proxies), be only enabled if a
> certain network is used.

Well, my particular use case is that I want no proxies set up when I'm
surfing at home, whether I'm working wired or wirelessly.  If I want to
connect to the office from home via VPN, though, I need proxies.

In the office, I need proxies when I'm working wired, but not when I'm
working wirelessly-- unless I then start a VPN connection, in which case
I need them again.

So that does make it more fine-grained than per-location... in OS X
(which is the model I'm most used to), proxies are defined
per-connection, per-location.  So in my scenario I'd probably want
something like:

Location: Home
Connections: Wired1 (eth0): static IP, no proxies
             Wired2 (eth0): static IP, proxies enabled (for VPN)
             Wireless1 (eth1): static IP, no proxies
             Wireless2 (eth1): static IP, proxies enabled (for VPN)

Location: Work
Connections: Wired (eth0): DHCP, proxies enabled
             Wireless1 (eth1): DHCP, no proxies first
             Wireless2 (eth1): DHCP, proxies enabled (for VPN)

(In OS X, although you can set up your locations like this, it's
actually easier to set up two separate locations for the home and work
VPN cases... largely because there's no particularly convenient UI for
switching between two connections on the same interface, e.g. Wired1 and
Wired2 at Home.)

Cheeri,
Calum.