Re: Plans for 2.20

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 14:05 -0500, William Jon McCann wrote:

> I think it is best to try to separate the problem of capplet and
> control-center shell design from the perceived too many daemons
> problem.  For example, maybe in the end we end up with screensaver and
> power-management preferences in the same dialog but the power-manager
> and volume-manager daemons in the same process...

yeah, I think I made the mistake of mixing the new g-s-d design (to make
things easier to maintain) with the 'let's remove all daemons
problem' :-) So, let's do it step by step, since first we need to clean
g-s-d (very much needed, look at the code if you dont believe me) and
then, if feasible, we can start thinking about other uses.

So, anyone has anything against an internal code refactoring in g-s-d to
have the GnomeSessionModule (Glib, no D-Bus here) interface to make the
design more modular? That is, I'll convert the gnome-settings-sound|
xrdb|etc to implement that Glib interface and thus simplify the code in
g-s-d. Of course, while doing it, I'll consolidate all xrdb calls into
one place and other performance issues I've been adding to my TODO list.

There would be no new features/interfaces/whatever added, just a better
organisation of the code.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>