Re: Plans for 2.20

2007/3/6, Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo novell com>:
Hi

So, it's time to start thinking about 2.20, since we have so many
changes we want to do. Here's a list of the things I've been collection
myself, to start the discussion:

IMHO, the problem cannot be addressed focusing on the capplets itself but in the issues that forces users to use the capplets (none wants to use the capplets just for fun). What they expect to find in the keyboard preference capplet? The layout? The blinking speed of the cursor?

Some of the suggestions could be fine, but now that we have the shell, we should try to get the best of it and so, we must be careful on merging/splitting them.

Do we know which capplets and which part of them are more used? Do we know if there are some never used? I think that we need this information before to proceed to make any change to the UI, perhaps something that makes sense for us (who know how capplets works and why are they supposed to do), doesn't make any sense for most users, even if we try to help them, we are poisoned with our knowledge, and so, I think that getting some real data may be worth.

Rodrigo, do you know if Anna's team at Novell has any documented usability tests about the control center usage?

We have a wiki page (http://live.gnome.org/ControlCenter) which I'll be
updating with the results of this discussion, so feel free to reorganize
it if you will.

--
Un saludo,
Alberto Ruiz