Re: Appearance Capplet Ideas

Forgot the list again. *sigh*

On 06.04.2007 20:16, Denis Washington wrote:
> While I was talking with Thomas about the problem of the Theme tab
> changing controls in the other tabs, I came up with a mockup that makes
> an external theme selection window accessible through a "Choose
> Theme..." button, which is above the notebook containing the actual
> preferences. Screenshots are here:
>
> http://ultimum-projekt.de/mockups/apearance.html
>
> If we can make clear to the user that changing the theme also changes
> his appearance settings, I think this could be a solution to the
> tab-influences-tab problem.

It does solve the interdependency issue, I think, but I prefer
Thomas' version for several reasons:

1) putting the metatheme stuff above everything else implies that
saving/choosing a theme there also includes settings like fonts,
background, menus & toolbars which it (usually) does not (and
should not).

2) the metatheme selection seems like a much more natural entry
point for new users; it does have the disadvantage that it probably
won't be used much afterwards, though. It looks like we can't
have both.

3) it takes more space

Jens