Re: Appearance Capplet Ideas

On 8 Apr 2007, at 12:45, Jens Granseuer wrote:

On 06.04.2007 19:20, Thomas Wood wrote:
On 04/04/07 17:06, Jens Granseuer wrote:
* "Themes": when I looked at this tab for the first time I desperately went looking for the button that let me customize stuff. That it's over
  in the "Appearance" tab is rather non-obvious. At the very least
"appearence" should be capitalized in the hint (but "Appearance isn't
  a good name anyway, as the others have pointed out).

I think this is actually a symptom of knowing the old theme capplet too
well. Once you realise what was going on, was it still so confusing?

I wouldn't say it was confusing as such, but it would be nice if the
relationship could be made a bit more obvious. I'd say your new
mockup with the hint text completely removed made matters a little worse
in that respect.

Well, I'm not a fan of help text on the dialog anyway, since after the first time you've read it, it become redundant.

Maybe Denis' suggestion about putting a few controls for themes above the notebooks makes sense?

[...]

* we seem to be a little inconsistent regarding images in buttons

Interesting one, especially as this is also a GTK+ style option. Stock
buttons always use icons, but other buttons don't have to. I can see two possible policies here. We either insist on icons in all buttons, or we decide only stock buttons should have icons. Either way, the user should
be able to disable all icons in buttons by using the GTK+ option.

Is it possible to disable non-stock images in buttons when using glade?
There's still a bug open about that [1].

I think there is a glade bug about this too. There is a special GTK+ function to let GTK+ know that you're adding an icon and text to a button.

A few of the screens could do with cleaning up and simplifying (Fonts for example). What are people's opinions on "Advanced" buttons so that
we can keep the main tabs clean and simple?

I seriously detest "Advanced..." buttons. You can never tell what
lies beyond (and in most cases it doesn't have much to do with advanced)
so you'll have to take a look anyway. If we managed to come up with
reasonably telling labels, though, that wouldn't be much
of a problem (to me).

I mostly agree here. The use of "Advanced..." buttons leads to excessive
windows (such as those present in the Windows appearance settings).
Let's make sure the settings are really important to include at all
before just relegating them to an extra window.

While I agree that the fewer windows the better, my main point here
was that if we need those buttons they shouldn't be labelled
"Advanced..." in any case.

"Extra options" ? The button in the Font settings is called "Details". Not sure if that makes more or less sense.

The other things that are missing from the current layout are cursor
settings (themes), and also any link to sound themes for the Themes tab.
Perhaps cursor themes should be added to the Appearance category,
underneath icons.

One problem I can see with that is that we'll lose the preview.
It could maybe be put behind a "Preview" button in a separate window,
but in that case I'm not sure a combobox would work well here.

I'm going to suggest icon sized previews in the combobox. As you can see
I've filled it with a stock icon at the moment, but at least it gives
some idea overall impression.

Hm, your new mockup has an icon preview for all theme types. For
mouse cursor, that's probably a good idea, but is it possible to
show a meaningful thumb-sized preview for GTK+/metacity/icon themes?
I doubt that.

It should be fairly simple. For example, the current preview already just shows a button to demonstrate the GTK+ theme. A small button and checkbox might be enough to give a feel for the style and colours. It all depends on how small the result is, and whether or not it is scaled down. Icon themes would be very easy, but metacity themes probably a little more tricky to get something meaningful. We don't have individual previews for these elements at the moment, so it's probably not critical if it doesn't work out. No harm in trying though!

-Thomas