Re: merging applets

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 17:04 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 16:45 +0200, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 16:57 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Since we didn't come to any conclusion at GUADEC, let's discuss it
> > > there.
> > >
> > > So, most people seem to agree on having less capplets, since the
> > > Preferences menu is too crowded, and there is lots of confusion for the
> > > users (like 3 keyboard applets).
> > >
> > > So, here is the list of current capplets and my initial proposal for
> > > merging them:
> >
> > May I drop gnome-system-tools to the mix too? I don't know up to which
> > point there makes sense to have "administration" and "preferences"
> > separated. I'd even mix some things with the g-c-c stuff (for example,
> > having proxy settings and network settings separated sucks), if it isn't
> > a problem for ISVs.
> >
> yeah, administrator settings should also be taken into account I think.
>
> > One of the main obstacles in the g-s-t side was the authentication
> > schema that forced the tools to request the password before doing
> > anything, but when the PolicyKit patch is committed, users will be able
> > to access to a locked down GUI [1], with the possibility to unlock it,
> > one of the benefits here is the ability to mix locked down (i.e:
> > administrator) stuff and non-locked down stuff.
> >
> that's great to know, and I think we should have a list of the things in
> g-c-c that are also in g-s-t and see how we can merge them. Could you
> please send us that list?

Right now g-s-t manage:

- network settings (worth to merge with proxy and so)
- time/date/timezone (localization capplet?)
- init.d services
- shared folders
- users/groups (about-me capplet? the UI doesn't share a common
objective, but the underlying code somewhat does)

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.
http://es.voice.yahoo.com