Re: merging applets

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 16:57 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> Hi
>
> Since we didn't come to any conclusion at GUADEC, let's discuss it
> there.
>
> So, most people seem to agree on having less capplets, since the
> Preferences menu is too crowded, and there is lots of confusion for the
> users (like 3 keyboard applets).
>
> So, here is the list of current capplets and my initial proposal for
> merging them:

May I drop gnome-system-tools to the mix too? I don't know up to which
point there makes sense to have "administration" and "preferences"
separated. I'd even mix some things with the g-c-c stuff (for example,
having proxy settings and network settings separated sucks), if it isn't
a problem for ISVs.

One of the main obstacles in the g-s-t side was the authentication
schema that forced the tools to request the password before doing
anything, but when the PolicyKit patch is committed, users will be able
to access to a locked down GUI [1], with the possibility to unlock it,
one of the benefits here is the ability to mix locked down (i.e:
administrator) stuff and non-locked down stuff.

> * about-me
> * at-properties
> * a11y keyboard, keyboard and keybindings: merge them in one single
> Keyboard capplet

Probably would be worth to keep all a11y together, most people shouldn't
care about it, and IMHO it looks strange to have tenths of a11y-related
options scattered across several capplets. OTOH, I think it would also
help to localize such settings in case of need.

> * background, display, font, mouse?, theme switcher, ui-properties,
> windows: merge them into a single 'Display' capplet

I agree with Darren here, mouse properties probably should go to a
"input devices" section, having there the pointer theme looks ok to me.

	Regards

[1] see http://www.gnome.org/~carlosg/stuff/network-admin-policykit.png
as an example

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.