Re: merging applets

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 11:53 +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> On jeu, 2006-07-06 at 16:57 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
>
> > So, most people seem to agree on having less capplets, since the
> > Preferences menu is too crowded, and there is lots of confusion for the
> > users (like 3 keyboard applets).
>
> Combining some capplets is a good idea but it's orthogonal to menu
> issue.
> Is there any objection to make the shell better and using that instead
> of the stack of menu items used at the moment?

Which reminds me, this was one of the options we were considering for
the Sun desktop... had started mocking up a couple of ideas here, but
hadn't taken it any further:

http://gnome.org/~calum/screenies/cc-panel.png
Modelled on the "add to panel" dialog.

http://gnome.org/~calum/screenies/cc-places.png
Modelled on nautilus/filechooser, with both fixed categories, and the
ability to bookmark "favourite" capplets.  (Another idea would be to
show recently-used capplets, either as an additional fixed category or
instead of the favourites, but I never got around to mocking up those
ones.)

In both cases, the search box would search more than just the name of
the capplet-- ideally a description and perhaps the text labels in each
window, too.

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group