Re: merging applets

On jeu, 2006-07-06 at 16:57 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> So, most people seem to agree on having less capplets, since the
> Preferences menu is too crowded, and there is lots of confusion for the
> users (like 3 keyboard applets).

Combining some capplets is a good idea but it's orthogonal to menu
issue.
Is there any objection to make the shell better and using that instead
of the stack of menu items used at the moment?

> * about-me

Note that we have some bugs about merging it with gdmphotosetup

> * a11y keyboard, keyboard and keybindings: merge them in one single
> Keyboard capplet

Seems a good idea to me

> * background, display, font, mouse?, theme switcher, ui-properties,
> windows: merge them into a single 'Display' capplet

Looks like many things to the same capplet, maybe too much? Maybe mouse,
ui-properties and windows could go to some sort of "behaviour" capplet?

> * file types, mime-type

Do we still use those? I though that was code for the previous
mimesystem and not built since GNOME 2.10

> * localization

That one is not used neither at the moment. Maybe we should do some CVS
cleanup and drop deprecated capplets or not-ready code

> * network, url-properties

url-properties is not built neither

> * sound: add video device setup and call it Multimedia??

Looks like a good idea

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher