Re: [gnome-women] Gnome Women Logo Contest

On 12/07/2005, at 8:30 PM, Runa Bhattacharjee wrote:

I dont know if this would make much sense. In India, a feet is somehow
considered a symbol of gender-based subjugation due to various cultural
practices for eg.women were not allowed to wear shoes or were made to
sit near the foot of men etc. which somehow might lead to the second
symbol to be a bit regressive in approach. perhaps this is a mental
block on my part due to the stereotypes one is exposed to in India, but imho, it might not go down well with the handful of ladies here in India who are at present still fighting to find their due respect in the Linux
world. this is strictly my opinion though.

No, Runa, that's a very important point. If the Gnome symbol were not already a foot, I would want to exclude it, too, but you're quite right that we shouldn't _stress_ it if it's enforcing any cultural stereotypes of that kind.

Why a foot? (I wonder...)

<Clytie speculates: foot fetishists in the Gnome Foundation?>

It's a pity we can't just go for a nice, big, sassy letter G with the female symbol in the cross-bar.

Logos are difficult: Gnome to me symbolizes long sessions of editing, CVS and bug-reporting: how about someone banging their head on the keyboard? :D