Re: Choice of wiki (Re: [gnome-women] Um, where is the G-W wiki?)

On 18/08/2005, at 2:24 PM, Mary Gardiner wrote:

However, it unfortunately tends to be pretty hard to switch an active
wiki to new software. Most wikis use their own custom varient version of
wiki markup (MoinMoin and MediaWiki markup is pretty different), and
store their data in incompatible formats. You are therefore locked into your choice of wiki to some extent. I don't know how long the GNOME Live
one has been around... probably long enough to have this effect.

Yes, I'm sure you're right. A bit like an unsatisfactory partner: you have to decide whether the hassle of having them around is worse than the hassle of getting rid of them. :D

One of the things I dislike most about the varying wikis is the similarity but small difference between markup. You really need to learn each one separately, and have the key next to you, so you remember, no, this isn't the wiki that uses double square brackets for links, this one only uses single square brackets, but double for footnotes, where wiki 3 uses one round bracket for footnotes... etc. They're not different enough to stick in your mind (at least, not in mine when I use several different wikis from time to time), but they're different enough not to work!

I agree with you that MediaWiki is a good one, I forgot that one when discussing wikis. Its layout and display are definitely superior!

bfn