Re: [gnome-women] Um, where is the G-W wiki?

Hello everybody, and thankyou very much to Máirín for her helpful reply. :)

On 17/08/2005, at 6:28 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 17:59 +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:

There is a link called UserPreferences, but the pencil and paper icon
is for editing the current page.

Ugh, yeah my bad, there isn't even an icon for logging in. You just have
to be lucky enough to see the link to UserPreferences on the bottom of
the front page.

It's certainly not the most new-user-friendly wiki I've seen. :S

 The
wiki is evidently partly translated into my language, but there are
errors, and quite a bit untranslated. Do you know where I would go to
work on the translation? I want to make it easier for other
Vietnamese women coming here.

I created a new OpenQuestion on how to submit translations of the wiki
(see http://live.gnome.org/GnomeLiveWiki)- I'm going to ask around to
see if I can find this out for you, though.

Thanks very much, Máirín, for both efforts. :) I'll keep an eye on that question.

When I wanted to translate the D-W wiki interface, I went to the pmwiki site [1] and asked about it. It turned out that they package all the translated interfaces up in a i18n tarball, and people can choose to install it or not. [2] There wasn't a translation for my language, so I did one there (very welcoming and helpful community and mailing list, very active and creative!), and it was immediately packaged up into an updated i18n tarball. More, we had some UTF-8 display problems with our existing wiki software, and they fixed that straight away! This has made me a keen pmwiki supporter. ;)

The VNOSS wiki uses wakkawiki (wikini?) [3], and the Translate Wiki [4] uses dokuwiki, because it also handles UTF-8 well, and I really find its interface the easiest to read, and to use. I'll try to find out if moinmoin has a similar approach to translation ... but I personally find its interface non-intuitive and hard to read, so I'm having trouble feeling enthusiastic about it. I wonder how committed the Gnome Live admins are to their wiki software... ;)

It looks really good - thorough, very encouraging, and I'm sure really
helpful for getting up and running in translation. You may want to break
it up into some subpages - It might be a little intimidating for
newcomers to see just how much they need to learn all at once o_O.

Thanks very much for the appreciation and feedback, Máirín. I agree about the subpages. I'm also asking the gnome-i18n list and the Translate project at Sourceforge for some feedback, so I hope to fine- tune it a bit. Danilo will probably have a minor fit at having his praises sung publically. :D

I added a list of anchors to the article for you - the tag to do this
automagically is [[TableOfContents]]. :-)

That was a happy surprise, when I went back to it yesterday! Thanks a lot! (I really prefer the dokuwiki TOC, it doesn't take up the middle of the page, but creates a sidebox in the top right-hand-corner.) And thanks for the tag. I really think the help pages could be improved. Where did you find that one?

It's great to put in the effort and have support and help with it. Thankyou. It encourages me very much. :)

[1] http://pmwiki.org/
[2] http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Internationalizations
[3] http://vnoss.net/wiki/
[4] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/