Re: [gnome-women] Getting a Web Site Up & Logo Contest status

On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 14:30 +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> Do you want help with the site?
>
> I'm OK in basic html/css.

Hey Clytie, help would be really appreciated! The thing that I'm worried
most about is content; I feel like we definitely want to go into more
detail on each of the different ways people can contribute... you have
good knowledge of how the translation teams work so maybe you'd like to
write up a document talking about some of the issues involved in
translating and how to get started? Your reply to svaksha [1] is a good
start on content for it!

Basically I'd like to use the wiki as a space to draft text for the
website. I think it's better to have an actual website though because if
we just rely on the wiki, anybody can register an account and mess with
the content (I'm thinking of that crazy "death to women's rights" guy
who attacked Debian Women and Linuxchix.)

Setting up a website on gnome.org is a little complicated but I'm going
to try to spend some time on that today.

> I'm also happy to get a translation going for the site, so I could
> translate text as it's created, if you like.

When our content gets to that point, that would be great! :)

> I think getting Gnome themselves, as well as the other womens' OSS
> groups, to mention us, is a good idea. :)
>
> I've seen one or two women translators on the gnome-i18n list whom
> I'd like to invite here. It will be a lot easier when we have a
> website to which we can point.

Awesome! Feel free to point them towards the wiki in the meantime!

> We also need to get some helpful information up there, and start some
> discussions here. Maybe an IRC channel, some quick tutes to help
> people get started or solve common issues. These are all the things
> that work for Debian-Women, so I'm keen to get them started here.

Yep, some of the Debian-Women ones are really good too, so we'll
probably want to link to them as well. It would be good to come up with
a list of what topics are the most in need of tutorials.

~m

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-women-list/2005-
August/msg00007.html