Re: [gnome-women] Getting a Web Site Up & Logo Contest status

On 09/08/2005, at 3:22 AM, || स्वक्ष || svaksha wrote:

Hello Everybody
<delurking here>

Yay! Congratulations on your delurking. ;)

On 08/08/2005, at 11:58 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:

So here's my first stab at some content for our web page together:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWomenWebPageDraft

Nice job Mairin :-)
The page looks nice (but I always liked simple pages sans graphics).

I still love ASCII art...

I encountered a webpage the other day which had some basic information on it, but took ages to load, since _everything_ on the page was a graphic. <sigh>

I am already involved with translation (sanskrit and marathi language)
for Ubuntu using their web translation software Rosetta but now I want
to learn and use Pootle.

I noticed a Gnome Translation page here and Debian has one too and so
does Ubuntu :-). Can someone please explain how the whole thing is put
together. How do you co-ordinate if there is a replication of some
work.

Oh, svashka, you've found the biggest problem in i18n. :(

Everybody has their own system, some groups can be parochial, and for most translators, it's a matter of trying to remember what to do in which project, and not getting too confused!

Please have a look at the Translate Wiki for this:

http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/

and the link "Localization Guide", which has a lot of information about different projects, including my info on the Translation Project at the University of Montreal, a central project which doesn't limit itself to specific distributions, so, like Pootle, has great potential to break down some of the barriers in i18n. I would encourage you very strongly to join the Translation Project. It's my favourite i18n place. :)

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/HTML/index.html

I know the coordinator will be delighted to hear from you: I know her well, and would be happy to recommend you. I'm just looking to see what Indic teams there are there...

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/registry.cgi?team=index

Hmm, there's a Hindi and a Punjabi team, but not Marathi or Sanskrit. You could start one. I'd be happy to help. :)

You can see my team page here:

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/registry.cgi?team=vi

For Gnome, you can start here:

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/

and please ask me any questions you like. Gnome is, in my experience, the best-organized individual project (after the general TP and Pootle), and has some very supportive coordinators who are keen to help. You can also pop up on the gnome-i18n list and ask about your language(s).

I wish so much that we did all the i18n in one, integrated way (with flexibility for input methods) for everyone, but that's not happening yet. :(

I get so confused sometimes, swapping from TP to Gnome to Debian to D- W to individual projects like BitTorrent or Psi... so I can help you get confused too! :D

How do I form a team for a language (like Sanskrit) which has unicode
support but no translation work has been done as yet ? I started with
it in Rosetta so can I use those files here ?
I hope people will join once the basic frame is setup.
Any pointers would be useful.

Start from the main pages I've listed, and ask questions! The main sites have information both on joining an existing team, and on forming a new team. You will find other translators very helpful: you're not alone in this task, even if you're the only person in your team. Mostly, I've been the only Vietnamese translator world-wide : ( but I've always had support from and been able to share with other translators. :)

So you meet the same translators on all the lists we have to join... ;)

I'm really impressed with how you've taken the risk to appear on new lists, and ask questions which are not readily understood. Keep it up! Let's hope more people, especially women, follow your example. :)