Re: wgo Status & Next Steps

Carsten Senger <senger rehfisch de> writes:

> [...]
>> help on the HTML stuff in the short term!)
>>
>> After reading through all of the emails, looking at open bugs in the
>> gnome-web Bugzilla under beta, and reviewing
>> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/CmsSetup, I'd like to try and update that
>> wiki page with the current open items and see if there are any volunteers
>> who would like to work on them.
>>
>> Here is what I took away as a brief summary of next steps for wgo on Plone
>> (Please correct me where I'm wrong):
>>
>> * We need to find a volunteer to host a test instance of wgo on Plone
>> (similar to what Ramon had a couple years ago) - Jen Kleins mentioned in an
>> email 27APR09 that David, who runs Plone-Hostings in France might be
>> interested.   Jens, can you put David in touch with me or us on the list?
>
> I had set up a test site like I announced in the last thread:
>
>   I installed a public site so people can have a look. It's available
>   at http://gnome.rehfisch.de. Until the dns record has propagates, it's
>   reachable through http://rehfisch.de:8090/gnome20090430_105004
>
>   It's build with the speedbreeze branch. username and password are
> admin'.
>
> Due to a name server errors the subdomain wasn't reachable, but it
> should be now. As it is build with speedbreeze's branch, Ross
> Patterson's changes to the document byline are not included.
> I can update the site regulary.
>
>> * http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/CmsSetup needs to be updated with next
>> steps & action items - a few of the bugs I clicked through to Bugzilla that
>> are marked as open on this page are really closed.  (I'm willing to take
>> this on and re-write and maintain this page for action items once we have at
>> good feeling of what the next round of tasks are).
>
> We had used the page as an interims help cause bugzilla needed to be
> cleaned up. I've done that last year. Single Tasked should be removed
> from the wiki and moved to bugzilla. Only an overview of steps should
> be kept in the wiki. Bugzilla gives enough flexibility to group the
> tasks there.
>
> I have a good overview over the finished work and can help to get the
> tasks straight.
>
>> (Carsten Senger email 03APR09):
>>
>> * Clean up theme glitches, template work and customizations (such as
>> removing author from pages)
>> * Configuration for multilingual content
>
> This is the major topic that needs an experienced developer. With Ross
> and Jens we have two possible candidates. Sébastien also mentioned
> that he had worked with LinguaPlone already.
>
> The most recent description of the translation requirements is
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/marketing-list/2006-October/msg00112.html
>
> I've never used LinguaPlone so this is a bit like reading tealeaves,
> but it seems that several of the "better don't go below" requirements
> are not easy and fast to implement in Plone. If that's the case we
> should drop or postpone them.
>
> Someone has to pick this up. Jens, Ross, Sébastien, what do you think?

I'm glad someone else has picked up LinguaPlone, thanks.  I'm still
available for doing tasks though my intention to work on the remaining
ticket that Carsten told me was ready has been delayed by my mail server
meltdown.  I hope to come back with a vengance tomorrow but I might not
get back to this project till next week due to the delays.

My larger concern, though, is that I'm carving out this volunteer time
(from the aether, of course :) when there's still debate about going
forward with Plone.  As much as possible, I'd like to have some
reasonable reassurance that this project will go forward before putting
more time in.  So I'll be watching the discussions with interest.  :)

Ross