wgo i18n

Before starting to work on the issues around i18n I need to have
definitive requirements. Btw. The wiki is not in a good state to get a
picture. But I think I found what I need.

I found some more docs, but took the mentioned posting of Quim Gil
(26.Oct.2006) as the base.

Plone offers by default:

- Translation of static parts (in templates and code) using GNU Gettext
(PO/POT-Files)
- non-western/ RTL (latter using a CSS switch as well)
- automatic session & browser-language negotation (Plone)

LinguaPlone is an Add-On for Plone to translate content. Is does primary
the following:
- Translation of all "content" managed by the CMS like text, html,
  images, files, ...
- It build up parallel content-trees, one for each language, url-parts
  are included in translation.
- Only one tree is shown (selected language), the others are hidden
  from navigation and search.
- Translations are kept together internally using (hidden) references.
- offers simple UI to manage translations.

also it should be possible to assign editor permission to only one
content tree or subtree (or single document). I just fear its difficult
to allow people to create the translated document.

Next lets come to problematic parts:

1) Partial translated content.

For all static parts this in no problem, but work to be done. For content
it can be a problem.
For WGO english is the (in LinguaPlone terms called) 'canonical'
language. As I said LingauPlone work internal with parallel content-trees
if a user switched to spanish and there are untranslated documents, those
are not shown. Theres no fallback. Some time ago I build an addon called
BlueLinguaLink which helps setting proxy-links to the version in the
canonical language. I'd need to update it to make it work with Plone 3.2
and latest LinguaPlone.

2) translation workflow with XML export/ import.

I dont know any good tool for such a workflow. I think Sasha from
Valentine talked about an xml-based workflow with translation-offices
some years ago at a Plone Conference. If this is really needed I can dig
into this to see if there are solutions around.

3) "work on translation in non-public environment"

I'd use working-copy-support to have a live version online and a private
working version to edit. This is new in Plone 3 and works fine (even if I
never tested it together with LinguaPlone, what I'll do now).

Can you please comment and add missing features?

regards
--
Jens W. Klein - Klein & Partner KEG - BlueDynamics Alliance