Re: www.gnome.org redesign status

Hello Carsten,

Am Fri, 03 Apr 2009 22:49:44 +0200 schrieb Carsten Senger:

> Hi Jens,
>
> Jens W. Klein schrieb:
>> Am Fri, 03 Apr 2009 15:59:32 +0200 schrieb Murray Cumming:
>>
>>> Lucas Rocha asked me what the gnome.org redesign status is, so here
>>> goes:
>>>
>>> 1. There are still people working on a Plone site, though there hasn't
>>> been much activity recently. I don't believe they will succeed,
>>> because this has failed so often, but nobody should stop them from
>>> trying as long as we don't have something else. If they do manage to
>>> get a working test site up then that wouldn't still be a very initial
>>> stage and would still need a phase of public feedback and reworking.
>>
>> What are the problems with using Plone? I build Plone sites all day
>> long for public sites and intranets, ... So I use Gnome (within
>> Ubuntu). So if I can help, tell me. I think I'am also good in solving
>> difficult problems with Plone, its my business. Just give me some
>> pointers and access: Where are  buildout, code, design skcetches,
>> concept, ...?
>
> It's a long, unsuccessful story that has nothing to do with Plone
> itself. I don't know the details before last fall, but the position of
> the gnome folks is correct. Today it's mostly about people loosing track
> for work or personal reasons, including me.

Ok, this sounds primary like missing project management?
[..]
> Remaining work:
> - the theme glitches

Should be simple to solve if the goals are defined.

> - template work and customizations like removing the author form pages

same here

> - configuration for multilingual content.

might be more work, in most cases LinguaPlone plays nice, but if not its
a beast. i can try it if the policy is clear.

> - an update to Plone 3.2/3.3

if an update 3.3! well, also simple, i can help here

> - working content export/import from test systems into a staging system
>    There where many problems like loosing references and images during
>    the development with many (I mean really many) Plone versions and
>    environments. Last fall they hadn't even access to the content they
>    created. But meanmeanwhile I thing this should be dropped).

Why use 2 systems? its hard to maintain. We have working-copy support!

> I think additionally requirements where dropped or deferred long ago.

ok. also it seems like theres no official test-deployment? imo it need to
be installed on a official server to have gnome server admins included in
the process. for a site like gnome.org we need a decent caching (varnish
2) and so a well-configured cachefu. zope should be started as a little
cluster. load-balancing between zope can be done by varnish or maybe
better pound. it should be configured in a way, so even slashdot cant
bring it down (and here helps varnish since rendering html is always
slow, and fetching from varnish is speedy).

anyway, gnome-folks, are you still really interested in having a new CMS?
Reading the project list it seems theres only Murray Cumming left from
the gnome-team.

regards Jens
--
Jens W. Klein - Klein & Partner KEG - BlueDynamics Alliance