www.gnome.org redesign status

Lucas Rocha asked me what the gnome.org redesign status is, so here
goes:

0. A large part of the "website update" has already been done: We now
have library.gnome.org (with links to live.gnome.org), and
developer.gnome.org is dead. It's just the user-oriented stuff that's
still to do.

1. There are still people working on a Plone site, though there hasn't
been much activity recently. I don't believe they will succeed, because
this has failed so often, but nobody should stop them from trying as
long as we don't have something else. If they do manage to get a working
test site up then that wouldn't still be a very initial stage and would
still need a phase of public feedback and reworking.

2. Around the time that Plone was chosen, Quim''s team of people spent a
lot of time deciding on the new structure and content, in several
iterations. That's a valuable result that should not be wasted. We
should use this with the existing gnomeweb-wml in the meantime without
waiting for Plone or some other technical solution. When a technical
solution arrives then we can use the same structure. Changing structure
and implementation at the same time is unnecessary.

That structure and content is detailed here:
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/NewWgoStructure

However, as mentioned in December, we are blocking on a way to easily
have 2 levels of menus with gnomeweb-wml:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-web-list/2008-December/msg00000.html
I could use the old developer.gnome.org main.in/tree.in/sed system but I
hesitate to do that because it's so hacky. I don't personally want to
commit to a whole CMS's way of life just for this simple feature, and I
don't want this structure to block on agreeing-on/implementing a
particular CMS.

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com