Re: Gnome Plone Migration Update

> TODO list
> =========
> - In my point of view there is are three points on to solve:
>   * Skinning : an egg with a theme is needed using viewlets and with
> the same design as the GnomeTheme product, the gnome.theme egg that is
> on svn is a clean theme egg to use on that direction ( is an empty
> plone theme egg with the templates and images that where used on the
> old GnomeTheme at skins and the code that davconvent wrote to have a
> second nav at browser folder)
>   * Main page : something to generate the mainpage as a collage of
> different parts ( RSS, banners, splash ), there is an old product at
> svn called MainPage that does something like that on an old way.The
> gnome.wgosite egg that is on svn is a clean egg to use on that
> direction ( is an emply plone egg ) /
>   * Content administration : check the actual content and
> clean/organize it
>

> From this point I can help on coding and some problems but I have not
> enought time to take care of the project.

Ok; part of the issue here for me is the way this is being handled. What
you have outlined is putting together an install on Plone 3 without
fixing or outlining a proper path for any of the concerns that are
causing the problems to begin with. Let me state; i'm not trying to be
adversarial in any manner and I realize you sit on the Plone board and
are probably aware of such issues. You're just not describing anything
new here so I'd just like to call a spade a spade. If i'm incorrect
please let me know.

We are still at square one, I'd already gotten everyone this far and
what is on the TODO list is exactly the path I was working on, replacing
the current viewlet code etc. I decided it was a better idea to use a
standard Plone install and breakout what I wanted to work on in
Products; once I got that working i'd create a brand new buildout. You
may think it's a waste and your Plone knowledge may obviously trump mine
but because I had to add stuff to [productdistros] it became obvious
that maybe the buildout was a bit rushed at the time or someone simply
forgot. So I wrote:

"You can add those two lines;
The unbuilt egg is definitely a problem but I don't remember seeing that
when building. I believe the best course of action to be setting up a
completely self contained instance to verify that this all indeed
actually working. If we can do that and shake out any problems we can
then proceed to a buildout sort of configuration."

Again, if i'm wrong I apologize and need to be corrected. However it
seems to me this is exactly where we've all been and I was working on
getting past. So in regards to this TODO list; What exactly is new? What
exactly do you need me to do or help with? At this point i'm a little
confused as to what has changed. I'm just trying to understand what you
want me to do or where this is going.

Thanks,
-C