Re: [wgo] GNOME Products

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 06:25:43 +0100
Quim Gil <qgil desdeamericaconamor org> wrote:

> Simon, thanks for your reply (but please keep always gnome-web-list
> CCed).
>
> On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 23:11 +0100, Simon Rozet wrote:
> > Quim Gil wrote :
> > > http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/GnomeProducts updated.
> > >
> > > Simon, we need to decide asap if we go for a Plone solution i.e.
> > > http://plone.org/products/plonesoftwarecenter or something living
> > > outside from Plone as you started doing back in August.
> >
> > At first, thanks for your help on the planning of
> > http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/GnomeProducts
> >
> > IMHO, the advantages of using an external plone solution is :
>
> You mean a solution external to Plone.
>
> > If DOAPs live in a shared space (like gnome's CVS) then WGO and each
> > project's website can use the same data. No duplication.
>
> Question to the Plone developers: can those DOAP files live elsewhere
> and then be imported automatically to the wgo Plone?
>
> Would it be a possibility to consider to have the DOAP files inside
> Plone but in a way that these data could be shared without duplication
> by other websites?
>
> The main requirement here is having just one source of data so editors
> of wgo and the web projects can work together in a single place.
>

> > > The complex part here seems to be a) the DOAP data shared with the
> > > projects subsites and b) how translations will be handled.
> >
> > a) For WGO, a cron could generate the static pages through a script.
> > For the projects subsites, we could setup a REST API or something
> > simpler.
> >
> > b) It's possible to store translations in only one DOAP (see
> > http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-osproj3/doap-3-intl.jpg)
> > I have no idea on the edit frontend side.
>
> Well, this is a core reason why I think it would be good to try first
> a solution integrated in Plone.
>
> > > It's also time to define the available description fields of a
> > > product, so we get all the same idea about these pages.
> >
> > There's already a draft of this list on
> > http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/GnomeProducts
> > We need to complete it. (there's also some questions about certain
> > fields which need answers)
>
> I have just posted there my opinion about the field "Category".
> Applications could have the same category they have in the
> Applications Menu. Probably apps under Preferences or Administration
> can keep that too. We need to think the categories for the non-GUI
> components.

IMHO, for that sort of "non-ordinary" application, Plone will not fit.
But on the I18n side, maybe it's possible to use the Plone's I18n frontend
with the external-to-Plone app ?

BTW, if we use Plone, I think I'll be forced to drop the goal since I don't know Plone
and I don't have time to dive into.
I don't think this fact must be considered in our choice.

--
Simon Rozet - http://atonie.org