Re: wgo Iteration I

On 06 Nov 2006, at 03:04, Kevin Teague wrote:

[...]

One another question is GNOME Products, I've seen that is
interesting to
maintain some GNOME products information, there is a simple product on
plone that allow managing products, ( easy so not difficult to
maintain
). We can adapt the look&feel to enable store different products, it
allow information about products, svn/cvs url, documentation,
releases,
author, .... You can see it at http://plone.org/products/

[...]

If gnome.org is interested in using it though, you may want to
consider managing it in a separate Zope/Plone instance. Having used
Plone for a quite a while, I know for first hand experience that it
can be easy to build up a whole lot of Plone add-ons to a Plone site
over time. The more add-ons Plone has, the greater the chance for
headaches when it comes time to upgrade Plone itself. Also, the more
add-ons, the harder it can be manage the system, especially for a
volunteer run system where people can tend to come and go on the
project. Of course, if a Product is being used on Plone.org such as
PSC, then there will be a very strong incentive for the authors to
support the product in future versions of Plone (and I know the PSC
contributors have a lot of interesting ideas in the pipe that they
want to add to PSC).

About Plone Software Center:
I'm not sure you need another Plone instance for running PSC,
as you wrote, PSC is deployed on plone.org and maintained by PloneSolutions. We can therfore make sure that it will comply with future versions of the Plone CMS.
just my 0.2 €

- Kevin Teague