Re: PloneSoftwareCenter DOAP

Simone Deponti wrote:
Hello all,

this thread will be dedicated to the development and deployment of a modified version of PloneSoftwareCenter in order to support specific GNOME requirements (namely, DOAP).

DOAP may be useful to PSC core. I don't fully understand the implications of DOAP, but I know it's been on the roadmap for a while.

If you are interested in working with us, it may be better if it goes into core rather than a branch that then diverges from trunk.

* The development of the product modification will take place inside the wgo svn. Then, if some of the changes are seen as useful by the team overseeing PloneSoftwareCenter they can merge it upstream in their code (alternate solution: branch PloneSoftwareCenter in the collective, which offers an advantage in term of keeping in sync with the main release, but the drawback of having to use multiple accesses).

I suggest you branch in https://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/PloneSoftwareCenter

I can get anyone who needs it commit access to the collective. It is extremely unlikely that anyone else will screw with your code if its in its own branch (we police these things, and we almost never have problems), and even if they do, you can roll back (and we'll take action against anyone who acts stupidly).

This will make it much easier for us to help you, for any future merge to trunk, and for us to keep and eye on what you're doing (I read collective checkin messages on the colletive-cvs list) and advise if you're doing something sub-optimal.

* Checkout PloneSoftwareCenter from svn, all its dependencies from svn, and commit them onto lafarga svn. I've decided to go with the bleeding edge in the hope that our changes would be quick to integrate in the next stable release.

The only thing to bear in mind is that we are in the process if updating PSC and the changes are happening in trunk. This will make PSC better, but you may find it's a little bit inconsistent at the moment (I don't think it's too bad)

http://svn.plone.org/svn/collective/PloneSoftwareCenter/branches/1.0

is the version on plone.org, which may be safer. I'd suggest you take a look at both before making a final choice.

* Implement a single template DOAP.pt, that will be accessible from <product url>/DOAP that becomes the "feed"

Can I suggest you call it something in lowercase, to keep consistent with other things in Plone, e.g. doap_feed.pt?

* The workflow of PloneSoftwareCenter currently is the following:
   - Project maintainer registers
   - Project maintainer adds project
   - Reviewer publishes it (the project is not visible if not approved)
   - Reviewer can close the software repository in order to stop submissions
- Project maintainer can add roadmap, releases, etc. This remains under the strict control of the project maintainer. (and a question raises here... where does the Marketing Team breaks in? They should be able to edit the projects, published or not?)
   except this, i think it suits our needs.

If everyone is okay, I can upload on the svn the following things:
PloneSoftwareCenter (svn)
ArchAddOn (svn)
ExternalStorage (svn)
DataGridField (svn)
AddRemoveWidget (svn)

And then try to crank out a DOAP.pt that renders the info currently collected by the product "as-is" in doap format.

I think it's a very bad idea to replicate all those products in another repository, when we have such a liberal policy to the Collective. You'll find it much easier working closely with us than at arms length! :)

If you agree, please create yourselves accounts on plone.org (http://plone.org/join_form) as needed and post a list of usernames here or email me (optilude at gmx dot net), and I'll give you all access.

Martin