Re: Header links and developer tools tab bar [Was: LXR link error]

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:31:05 +0000
Thomas Wood <thos gnome org> wrote:

> Perhaps we ought to define a proper structure here then. I'm not sure
> whether "About GNOME" and "Download" need to be top level links,
> shouldn't they come under Users?
>
> I would propose something along the following lines:
>
> Users
>   About GNOME    (/about)
>   Download       (/start/stable)
>   Documentation  (/learn)
>   News           (gnomedesktop.org)
>   Press          (/press)
>   Contact        (/contact)
>
> Developers
>   Developer      (developer.gnome.org)
>   Documentation  (developer.gnome.org/doc)
>   Wiki           (live.gnome.org)
>   Bugzilla       (bugzilla.gnome.org)
>   CVS            (cvs.gnome.org/vewcvs)
>
> Foundation
>   About Foundation
>   Membership
>   Elections
>   Referenda
>   Legal
>   Finance
>   Contact
>
> Importantly, this adds links that weren't previously easily accessable
> (such as user documentation) and also removes duplicate entries.
>
> I think one of the biggest problems with the site is that it's
> navigation is difficult because it hasn't had a properly planned
> structure.
>
> What do people think?

I think it would make sense to aggregate ideas like that on

 http://live.gnome.org/MarketingTeam_2fWebsiteUpdates

or a similar page on live.gnome.org

It might lead to a better overview on various website issues, wants and
needs of different groups, and so on. The addition of a second
navigational element, for example, makes a lot of things possible and
it might be good to discuss its results in detail.

For example, I'd like to work on a seperate user.html page - most
interesting user information is on contacts.html where nobody really
looks, IMHO.

Cheers,
Claus