Re: Header links and developer tools tab bar [Was: LXR link error]

On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 00:09 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Thomas Wood">
>
> > This has been the case for some time and it really should have been fixed
> > by now. The link needs to be removed or LXR fixed. The presence of a 404
> > page like this does not do our reputation any good.
>
> (Fixes for obvious breakage accepted without confirmation or anything; go
> for it!)
>
> > Personally, I don't understand why developer.gnome.org gets a different
> > set of header links. Shouldn't the header links be standardised across the
> > gnome.org sites?
>
> Totally. Here's what I'd really love to see: Standard top level header links
> across all sites, and then on the developer oriented sites/pages, a sexy tab
> bar of sites (or tools, really). So we'd have d.g.o itself, bugzilla, wiki,
> viewcvs, etc. Then the developer area would feel really well integrated
> across all of the sites and tools, and you could get to all of them within
> one click. If anyone wants to start on this in the dgo template, please do!
>
> Example:
>
>   FOOT
>   FOOT
>   FOOT  About GNOME * Download * Users * Developers * Foundation * Contact
>                  ___________ ______ __________ _________
>   ______________| developer | wiki | bugzilla | viewcvs |_________________
>

> Like this. What do you think?

Great idea!

Perhaps we ought to define a proper structure here then. I'm not sure
whether "About GNOME" and "Download" need to be top level links,
shouldn't they come under Users?

I would propose something along the following lines:

Users
  About GNOME    (/about)
  Download       (/start/stable)
  Documentation  (/learn)
  News           (gnomedesktop.org)
  Press          (/press)
  Contact        (/contact)

Developers
  Developer      (developer.gnome.org)
  Documentation  (developer.gnome.org/doc)
  Wiki           (live.gnome.org)
  Bugzilla       (bugzilla.gnome.org)
  CVS            (cvs.gnome.org/vewcvs)

Foundation
  About Foundation
  Membership
  Elections
  Referenda
  Legal
  Finance
  Contact

Importantly, this adds links that weren't previously easily accessable
(such as user documentation) and also removes duplicate entries.

I think one of the biggest problems with the site is that it's
navigation is difficult because it hasn't had a properly planned
structure.

What do people think?

-Thomas