Re: Getting Started Again: Design Goals

<quote who="Steve Fox">

> While I think we do have a good start. I'm sure that having some usability
> people go over the site would be beneficial. I'd still like to consider
> the design "slushy", so let's get some input from others and maybe we can
> focus on branding the site some more.

It's changed a bit since then, to take into account the branding changes, IA
stuff, and some of the previous conversations on the list. I don't have
access to it now, but I'll put up the new design stuff tonightish.

> In particular I don't like the different colors in the indented menu at:
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gwh/mockups/initial-css/
>
> but the tables version at:
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gwh/mockups/initial-tables/
>
> looks very clean IMHO.

Yeah, the indents are gone completely, so the sidebar just a list of
relevant (contextual) links. No icons or mess like that.

> I'd also suggest that we make the foot considerably smaller. The more
> navigational stuff we have toward the top of the page, the better. Also,

I played around with having the foot within the top bar, but it was too
small. ;-) It's about half-in-half-out now, which seems like a good balance.

The navigational stuff is now within the 'white area' (body) of the page,
which sounds odd, but given the contextual stuff along the side, it works
quite well. It's far more readable than being in the pretty top section,
too.

> I don't think we ever solved the placement of the search box either. I'd
> like to see one on every page somehow.

Up in the top bar, on the far right. It's the only thing up there, so
there's room for promoish kind of things like, "Find out what's new in GNOME
2!" across all the pages on the site. Looks pretty cool.

Yeah, anyway, I'll try and put these up somewhere tonight or tomorrow
morning.

   "People keep asking me why we aren't married, and he says, 'Every time
   I am about to ask you, you do something annoying'." - Kate Beckinsdale