Re: Status and whats the staus?

<quote who="Steve Hall">

> From the very beginning I thought the list was in favor of server-side
> detection.
>
> If this is no longer the case, then we truely have bigger fish to fry.

Again, I'm attempting to say, "Can we get to this point?" so that we're all
thinking about ways to simplify. I'd love to be able to do it, but know that
it's not realistically possible (browsers suck too much).

> I was just trying to be progressive. My Netscape 4 setup is a hack, sure,
> but it's almost obsolete. IE/Moz/Opera/Konq/Lynx/Links/AOL/Compuserve...
> all function fine and are stable with the current approach.

As long as we're doing the best thing for each browser, and have basic HTML
that is easy to modify and change around (within the context of a
'template') in the future.

> > Why? It makes it very visible and obvious. I don't think 'clutter' is
> > the right word; it certainly breaks the visual peace, but you have to do
> > that to make it obvious. :)
>
> I once had a professor in arch school that said, "Interesting is not the
> same as visually stimulating. Nazis," he said, "are interesting but I
> wouldn't want to have one."

Are you attempting to abort the conversation by mentioning Nazism? :)

I'm not interested in pretty for pretty's sake - usability and usefulness is
far more important.

> Dude, the whole artistic thrust of the template design is the toe
> over-hanging the top menu bar background image!
>
> You're on crack if you think I'm going to concede that one!!

Please read my email back again. I'm giving suggestions as to how we can
simplify the design so we can concentrate on other things. The CSS
positioned and transparent foot is an annoyance for cross-browser
compatibility, and is thus one of the first things I'd think of when trying
to simplify.

Please don't become unflinchingly attached to the current design so that we
can't be fluid about it.

             Toothpaste is the most important meal of the day.