Re: GNOME Webhackers

On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 11:54:18PM +0100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> GNOME Webhackers is online. Very simple, given that d.g.o is going to be
> replaced soon enough anyway. :)
>
>   http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gwh/

Thanks Jeff that's really cool. A couple of things.

* please tell people which cvs module to abuse - in fact tell me - is it
web-devel-2 or gnomeweb-wml

* longer term we need to have a todo list so that folks can just pick up
and go with stuff. (maybe the next point will help ;-)

* Site structure - I seem to remember long discussion back and forth about
this but maybe the group is small / dedicated enough now that we can agree
on a proposal and move on. Anyway my trawl through the archives has
brought up these (it's not exhaustive so I might of missed stuff)

First comes Joakims design doc (draft 1, was there another?) and a long
thread

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-web-list/2000-December/msg00053.html

Ryan Muldoon made this suggestion (and inspired a long thread),

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-web-list/2000-December/msg00111.html

Thomas V.V.Cox came up with this structure based on the current website
logs,
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-web-list/2001-January/msg00002.html

Ryan's and Thomas' ideas are not that dissimilar so I hope it shouldn't be
too hard to come to a solution.

Steve Hall posted a link to his ideas but unfortunately that link is dead
now,
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-web-list/2001-January/msg00028.html

Let's suppose we agree on a structure - how do we go about migrating the
current content into the new site? Presumably current stuff is owned /
maintained by some people (us?) and we should give them first dibs on the
chore of moving content into new markup and locations. Do we declare a
content freeze when were happy with new design and structure? Maybe I'm
worrying too far ahead?

I also noticed with the current site that all the links on
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/doctable/

refer to canvas.gnome.org:65348 - any reason for this? I know I can add
the port to the firewall config but surely this doesn't *need* a special
port - wasn't that done during the last set of web work to separate the
old and new sites?

Paul

> Please send changes, ideas, etc. to the list.
> - Jeff

Paul Cooper                             |  Tel: 0121 331 7858
Senior Programmer and Database Engineer |  Fax: 0121 331 7859
UCEcom                                  |  mailto:pgc ucecom com
University of Central England           |  http://www.ucecom.com
Birmingham, B4 7DX                      |