Re: GNOME Webhackers

<quote who="Paul Cooper">

> Thanks Jeff that's really cool. A couple of things.

:)

> * please tell people which cvs module to abuse - in fact tell me - is it
> web-devel-2 or gnomeweb-wml

web-devel-2 is the current d.g.o

gnomeweb-wml is the current w.g.o

(Silly, hey?)

> * longer term we need to have a todo list so that folks can just pick up
> and go with stuff. (maybe the next point will help ;-)

Yeah, you mention later on that we're a smaller group of dedicated people
now; because of that, I think a lot of todo-type-stuff can be covered on the
list. Keeping a status/task list on the webhackers site is still waaaay
useful.

> * Site structure - I seem to remember long discussion back and forth about
> this but maybe the group is small / dedicated enough now that we can agree
> on a proposal and move on. Anyway my trawl through the archives has
> brought up these (it's not exhaustive so I might of missed stuff)

Oooh, rock. I'll thwack these up post haste.

> Let's suppose we agree on a structure - how do we go about migrating the
> current content into the new site? Presumably current stuff is owned /
> maintained by some people (us?) and we should give them first dibs on the
> chore of moving content into new markup and locations. Do we declare a
> content freeze when were happy with new design and structure? Maybe I'm
> worrying too far ahead?

Heh, yeah. :D

So, are you talking about d.g.o or w.g.o? I was hoping to have some time
alone with d.g.o. ;) [ sound of knives sharpening in the background ]

d.g.o is already sane in terms of structure. I think we'd be futzing with it
minimally to begin with - just moving some less relevant top-level stuff
down, and pulling important stuff up. The migration won't be too hard, as
the html files are currently just the content anyway, so we can encapsulate
them in a new system fairly easily.

w.g.o will be harder, as it sounds like we'll be tackling the structure
differently to the current site. We can still grab a lot from the site's
content.

In terms of development process and CVS, I'm tempted to say 'build it
outside GNOME CVS, then throw it in on top of the current module, having
atticed everything else'. I don't think that's the right way of doing it
though. We should create a new branch, and do all of our development there.

> I also noticed with the current site that all the links on
> http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/doctable/
>
> refer to canvas.gnome.org:65348 - any reason for this?

Just a mess from a previous change in setup. I'll see what the docs people
have to say about it. ;)

   "I came for the quality, but I stayed for the freedom." - Sean Neakums