Re: cvs and stuff

<quote who="Paul Cooper">

> I would suggest this may only be needed by a few areas of the site - I
> mean on a dynamic basis - the rest could be authored in xml then
> 'compiled' into a static page. Seems to be (roughly) how things are done
> now?

Yeah, this is the best way of dealing with xslt stuff. Half the time you
don't need to do it dynamically, so it's best to cache. I generally do the
caching dynamically though, so I don't have to worry about "compiling" or
pre-processing.

Right now it's wml-hell, and I'm having a real hard time compiling the
version of wml required to build the GNOME site here. ;)

> I think we started to get a design nailed down (or did we? ;-) I just
> can't find a URL in the archives.

Are these Joakim's designs from very early in the list's existence? Some
links to these (and some of the slightly modified ones I remember seeing)
would be cool.

> The software map is close to being replaced - there is a new trove based
> verions by steve fox, see http://gnome.foxhut.org/softwaremap/

This looks really cool. I had wanted to do an LDAP-based applist, so we
could integrate a lot of our information in one place, but in the mean time,
this rocks. I might have a look at the code later on and see what I can do
to port it to a different backend. Steve, from what you've seen of the code,
would this be a fairly clean hack?

> The gnotices squishdot has been patched and improved. The trove needs to
> create an rss feed and squishdot/zope needs to add rss syndication to
> display this. (steve fox, micheal r berstein)

Cool. Maybe we can improve the look of Gnotices as we upgrade the rest of
the site? I have some interesting bits and pieces in progress that I should
be able to have permission to donate when we start talking about replacing
Gnotices.

> Also noticed a message in the archives from Christian Schaller about
> short-term v long-term. One of the short term items was a search engine
> for the site and I think Joshua Eichorn has done some work on this. Any
> other short term stuff?

I'll have a look for this post soon, if you've got a link to hand, please
post it. ;)

> Can we get as much of this in cvs as possible?

How about I start a section for us on d.g.o, so we have the current status,
todo list, etc. available for everyone to see? I'm happy to keep updating it
as things progress.

I'll use your information as a starting point.

Thanks Paul!

  "Anyway - I need something more James Bond than Banana Man, if you know
                       what I mean..." - Tom Gilbert