Re: GNOME news: Slashcode and the new version Bender

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 03:14:12PM +0100, Alvaro del Castillo wrote:

> I am sorry not to work more in the gnome-web project but in the news section
> I think that I can help to reach the bes solution. I know the slashcode in
> some depth and in BarraPunto.com we have implemeted ACLs for the nex version
> of slashcode, called Bender, which has lotsof new features. It have a plugin
> architecture, so it's very easy to make it grow, all the HTML visualization
> is based in templates using the Perl Template Toolkit and it can store the
> data in MySQL and Postgres, and Oracle is will be also supported.

> Is a very mature software and it scale very well, as probe Slashdot.

> I hope that nobody has seen this things before. If so. sorry for make you
> lost your time. But I think that evaluate slashcode it's very important to
> have a good web architecture.

> If you need any details (code, functionality, possible new functionality ...)
> ask about it.

> Take in mind that the news in a website is the zone that change more and if
> we have a good news channel, the website traffic will be much higher and we
> can give a great service for the community and for the GNOME projects.

I've looked at Slashcode before, and while I agree it's an extremely
flexible, scalable and mature codebase, there are a few drawbacks in using it
for Gnotices:

* It's Perl, not PHP. If we're not going with PHP, we might as well stay with
  (an updated version of) Squishdot. We'll still ahve to implement all the
  template stuff twice, etc.

* It's vastly overkill for something like Gnotices.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Ximian web monkey - joakim ximian com - Radagast IRC
  FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer