Re: My first stab at the site

On 15 Mar 2001 21:50:22 -0600, Joakim Ziegler wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 08:49:26PM -0600, Steve Fox wrote:
> > Nobody has any comments on using the SourceForge code? No one likes the idea?
>
> I'm sadly a little busy this week, so I haven't had time to look at it too
> much.

I know how that goes! I'm just glad I was finally able to find time to
do it. Sorry for being impatient. I was hoping maybe we'd have something
together by gnome-1.4, but I highly doubt that it'll happen.

> I'm interested in learning more about the sourceforge engine, in particular
> customizability and features.

Well, the nice thing is that your interface is very customizable. Each
theme can use its own colors and images. You basically have a couple
basic functions that each theme has to implement (header, footer,
box1_top, box1_middle, box1_bottom), but each of those functions can do
whatever.

I feel really strong that the Trove software map would be good to use.
We could hack it so that when software is updated, people can receive
email notices. That way GNOME projects which aren't hosted on
SourceForge don't need to create their own -announce mailing lists. It's
a thought anyways.

As far as using the forums/news capability to replace Gnotices, I think
it's work really cool. Since people can create accounts (maybe front
page customization at a later time?), they can also monitor postings and
have followups mailed to them.

> Also, what are the disadvantages to using it?

Hehe...you're a smart one aren't you? :0) There's no real big
disadvantages other than having to grep through all the code to remove
references to SourceForge and Alexandria (the project name). We'd have
to tweak the user system a bit since we won't be offering
user users gnome org mail aliases.

Hope this helps.

--

Steve Fox