Re: Taking a step back for a moment......

Hi,

I've been following your conversation and it seems to me that perhaps you
need to follow a design process. It is a good way to establish what your
goals are for the site before you even start to think of the navigation. The
navigation comes way down the list. One idea of web design that works really
well is to create a design document. This document is affectively becomes a
blueprint for your site.

---------------
Design Document
---------------

The design document provides a thorough description of the site's design.
It is useful in constructing the site, for adding content, and in revising
the site.

Example:

1. Goals
2. User Experience

2.1 Audience Definition
2.2 Scenarios
2.3 Competitive Analysis Summary
Appendix A: Competitive Analysis
3. Site Content

3.1 Content Grouping and Labelling
3.2 Functional Requirements
Appendix B: Content Inventory
4. Site Structure

4.1 Site Structure Listing (or Summary)
4.2 Architectural Blueprints
4.3 Global and Local Navigation Systems
Appendix C: Site Structure Listing (optional)

5. Visual Design

5.1 Layout Grids
5.2 Design Sketches
5.3 Page Mock-ups
5.4 Web-based Prototype

I can unpack this idea if you are interested.

Michael

Michael Evans
Multimedia Design Manager
UCEcom